We always like seeing our patients for their check-ups but we always hope to avoid trips for more serious concerns. The maintenance of teeth at home is essential to alleviate these concerns for your oral health. Most dental problems arise as a result of neglect for teeth. By keeping on top of your teeth cleaning, many problems can be avoided. You must still regularly visit a dentist. Calgary based practice Westhills Dental Centre is here for you.
The ideal brushing time would be 3 minutes, twice a day. The toothbrush must be in good condition, it is advisable to replace it every 3 to 4 months. If it is frayed, then it will not be as effective. Soft bristled brushes are recommended for those with sensitive gums or if you are unsure which toothbrush to go for. A soft bristled brush is a safe bet for all mouth types. Although most people will brush twice daily, there are certain steps one can take to ensure that your technique is effective. Here are some useful ways to maximise your brushing impact:
- Place the toothbrush at a 45 degree angle and brush against the gum line
- Brush in small circular patterns
- Use the front part of the toothbrush for the inside of the front teeth
- Keep the brush flat on the chewing surfaces
- Brush before and after you sleep
Fluoride containing toothpaste will help reduce cavities. Although smaller children should be closely monitored when using fluoride products, they only require a pea-sized amount of toothpaste.
Flossing is another important measure when looking after your teeth. It cleans where a toothbrush will have trouble reaching, removing food particles from between the teeth. Here are a few ways to improve your flossing technique:
- Uncoil around 18 inches of floss
- Wrap it tightly around your middle and softly ease it between your teeth
- Gently scrape the surface with the floss in a C shape
- Move to an unsoiled section of floss and continue for each tooth